Wednesday, March 9, 2011

New Material

There are five people that have irreversibly impacted my sense of intimacy. Though they are not the only ones to make this impact, they have the exclusivity of being called my "exes". The first ex is Muffin. Then Ferriday and The Dean. Next comes McBougie. And finally, there's Wit's End.

If were to see this group of four guys and a girl standing next to one another, you'd swear that you were looking at the cast of Bravo's newest  reality series, "Different Pokes: When Gay Cultures Collide." That's how different these people are. There is not one single attribute that binds any two members of this group...besides the fact that at some point, they've each dated me.

As far as exes go, they aren't so bad. Although I don't keep in regular contact with any of them, and three of the five have me blocked on Facebook, I'm still very grateful to have a brief history with each one.

As relics of my past, my ex-boyfriends (and girlfriend) still serve an important purpose in my everyday life. They didn't just teach me about boundaries, self-respect, and all that other crap that you figure out in the wake of the break-up. They provide me with some of the most hysterical and heartbreaking stories imaginable. I try my best to make lemonade with every lemon that drops onto my crotch.

 
In addition to the five platinum-level members of my fan club, there are several gold-level members, a handful of silvers, and an army of bronzers. What can I say? I'm a stud with a knack for learning things the hard way.

My history in both short and long-term relationships governs most of my identity. I'm conflicted about how this makes me feel; the fact that others can so easily influence me. But I'm confident enough to understand that influence and inspiration have got to come from outside as well as within. I'm just more of an outdoorsy type I guess.

My failed (and continuing) relationships have made me wiser. But more importantly, they've given me excellent material to work with. And if I hadn't lived it, I'm certain that I wouldn't believe a word of it.

But I hope you'll at least keep an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment